Assuming we use a draft pick to get Jimenez or Santana, shall we go ahead and get Morales?

Frobby

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You expect this owner to shell out $25 million in the last week before spring training to get the payroll up to $110 million??

"Should" we get him...IF we sign a player that takes a pick......uh yeah. We "should".

"Will" we even sign player 1, much less player 2?? Probably not.

The odds of us signing both are non existent. Zero. None.

I don't want to give up a no. 1 pick for Morales, but if our no. 1 was burned anyway, I'd consider giving up a no. 2 pick to get him. Thoughts?

Yes. IMO, signing zero free agents that require giving up a pick, or signing two of them, are both preferable to signing one. Either go for it, or don't.

I would definitely give up a 2nd to get him. But like TradeAngelos said, I don't see them getting Santana or Jiminez. I would entertain the thought of giving up a 1st for Morales. I'm okay if they don't go that route also.

I'd imagine that Morales would prefer the NL so he can be valued as a 1st baseman rather than a DH. But he's not in much of a "chooser" situation. Besides Pitt, I don't know of a likely landing spot...maybe Milwaukee as an outside possibility.

My preference:

1. Sign Burnett and call it a Winter. (with a little luck we get to 90 wins)

or

2. Sign Santana and Morales. (with some luck we're a 93 win team)

or

3. Do nothing and roll the dice. (with some luck we get back to 85 wins)

All three scenarios will require some luck.

You expect this owner to shell out $25 million in the last week before spring training to get the payroll up to $110 million??

"Should" we get him...IF we sign a player that takes a pick......uh yeah. We "should".

"Will" we even sign player 1, much less player 2?? Probably not.

The odds of us signing both are non existent. Zero. None.

I do not think it is very likely, either. Consider it a philosophical question. But if we did do it, I doubt the payroll would get as high as $110 mm.

My preference:

1. Sign Burnett and call it a Winter. (with a little luck we get to 90 wins)

or

2. Sign Santana and Morales. (with some luck we're a 93 win team)

or

3. Do nothing and roll the dice. (with some luck we get back to 85 wins)

All three scenarios will require some luck.

That seems like a fair assessment. However, AJ is not coming here. I don't know why people keep bringing it up. He has passed on us twice. He isn't coming here to ride off into the sunset. Not an option.

I will go with 2 plus sign a 5th starter as insurance like Saunders in case of an injury, use as long man if need be or use Bud Norris as a closer as someone has mentioned.

That seems like a fair assessment. However, AJ is not coming here. I don't know why people keep bringing it up. He has passed on us twice. He isn't coming here to ride off into the sunset. Not an option.

I will go with 2 plus sign a 5th starter as insurance like Saunders in case of an injury, use as long man if need be or use Bud Norris as a closer as someone has mentioned.

I'd be ok with Jimenez, Morales, & Yoon.

Aceves is already filling the "insurance" role, IMO.

Not enough IMO. Not enough. I strongly believe we need another 5th starter type externally.

People get hurt, people are ineffective, it happens. Plan for it.

In this speculation discussion, wouldn't signing Santana move everyone else down a notch, thus we would have a 5th starter backup in the guys who will probably be fighting for the real life 5th starter role?

So in essence you are saying we need to sign a 4th AND 5th pitcher AND then use Norris as an emergency 6th starter, and Gausman, Matusz, Britton, and the rest of the class as potential 7th starters?

In this speculation discussion, wouldn't signing Santana move everyone else down a notch, thus we would have a 5th starter backup in the guys who will probably be fighting for the real life 5th starter role?

So in essence you are saying we need to sign a 4th AND 5th pitcher AND then use Norris as an emergency 6th starter, and Gausman, Matusz, Britton, and the rest of the class as potential 7th starters?

If you think Asceves has starter potential, I do not. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't even make the OD roster.

If you think Asceves has starter potential, I do not. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't even make the OD roster.

I didn't even mention Asceves. He's a non factor to me.

In my example, Burnett (or Santana or Jiminez) round out the 5 man staff, and Matusz, Britton, MacFarland, Gausman, etc are the emergency starters.

Archived